DAYTON VIES FOR A-10 TITLE
The Flyers will vie for the program’s first-ever Atlantic 10 Women’s Basketball Championship and the conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament this weekend in Philadelphia. Dayton, the #3 seed, had a first round bye and will face #11 seed Saint Louis in the quarterfinals on Saturday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the last game of the day.
LISTEN TO COACH JABIR LIVE
Dayton Head Coach Jim Jabir will be on live with Clint Davis on WONE's The Drive Friday, March 2 at 5 p.m. Click here to listen online. Jabir will also be on atlantic10.com with Shane White at halftime (approximately 8:30 p.m.) of the Charlotte vs. Saint Louis women's basketball first round game, also on Friday, March 2.
• Dayton finished the 2011-12 regular season with a 20-6 overall record and 12-2 mark in Atlantic 10 action. The Flyers have won 20+ games in five consecutive seasons.
• The 12 league wins breaks a UD women’s basketball program record for A-10 wins in a single season.
• UD leads the A-10 in scoring (71.5 ppg -33rd in NCAA), scoring margin (+11.3 – 32nd in NCAA) and assists (16.5 apg – 17th in NCAA). The Flyers are also 24th in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio at 1.0.
• Dayton defeated both Charlotte (91-68 on Feb. 8) and Saint Louis (72-54 on Feb. 18) at UD Arena this season.
• Two-time First Team Atlantic 10 selection Justine Raterman leads the Flyers in scoring with 14.7 ppg (3rd in the Atlantic 10) and rebounding with 6.3 rpg. She is coming off a career week in which she scored 57 points in two games; 25 in an 83-54 win over Xavier on Feb. 22, and she tied her career high with 32 points – including two free throws with eight seconds left in the game – in a 74-69 overtime win at Duquesne. She hit six treys, bringing her career total to 177 and moving her to second all-time on UD’s career list for three-pointers made. She was named the Atlantic 10 Player of the Week Feb. 27. It’s her second weekly honor this season and 13th of her career. In addition to being named First Team All-A-10, Raterman was named to the 2012 A-10 All-Academic Team.
• Senior Patrice Lalor is closing in on second all-time at UD for assists. She currently has 491 and needs just five to move to second. Her assist-to-turnover ratio (2.2) leads the A-10 and 14th in NCAA.
• Senior Casey Nance has 209 career blocked shots, second all-time at UD. She needs 13 to move into first.
• Freshman Andrea Hoover was named the 2012 Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year, Third Team All-Atlantic 10 and All-Rookie Team. She is second for the Flyers in scoring with 10.3 ppg. She earned A-10 Rookie of the Week honors four times this season, more than any other player.
• Senior Elle Queen is a 2012 Atlantic 10 All-Defensive Team selection and she leads UD in steals with 49. Her 2.6 steals per game in A-10 games is third-best in the conference.
• Freshman Ally Malott was named to the Atlantic 10 All-Rookie team along with Hoover. The Flyers were the only team with two rookies honored. Malott is averaging 6.5 ppg.
• Senior Justine Raterman has scored 161 points in Atlantic 10 Championship games during her career - that’s 17.9 ppg.
• Senior Patrice Lalor has dished 39 assists in A-10 Championship games, 4.3 apg. Her assist-to-turnover ratio is 1.77 in tourney play.
• Senior Casey Nance has 13 blocks in A-10 Championship games.
• Senior De’Sarae Chambers had a career day in Dayton’s upset of No. 15 Xavier her freshman season. In the quarterfinals the Flyers staged a 63-60 overtime upset of No. 15 Xavier, the top seeded team in the tournament. Chambers led UD with a career-high 19 points, while Justine Raterman had a double-double of 16 points and 10 rebounds. Raterman hit a three-pointer with 1:04 to play in overtime to give UD a one-point lead. Casey Nance notched a blocked shot on the other end of the floor, and then Kristin Daugherty hit two free throws with 10 seconds to play.
• Raterman, Lalor and Nance have started all nine Atlantic 10 Championship games the Flyers have played during their careers.
The NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Selection Show will be held Monday, March 12 at 7 p.m. on ESPN/ESPN3.com.
LAST TIME OUT
Senior Justine Raterman tied her career high with 32 points in Dayton’s 74-69 overtime victory over Duquesne at the A.J. Palumbo Center Feb. 25.The Flyers outscored Duquesne 14-9 in the overtime period.
DAYTON RAKES IN A-10 HONORS
Four Flyers were honored when the Atlantic 10 released its all-conference teams Wednesday, Feb. 29. Senior Justine Raterman was named an A-10 First Team pick, as well as an All-Academic Team selection. Freshman Andrea Hoover was named the 2012 A-10 Rookie of the Year, as well as being chosen as a Third Team A-10 selection. Hoover and Ally Malott were both named to the All-Rookie Team. Senior Elle Queen was voted to the A-10 All-Defensive Team.
The Flyers wore pink uniforms in three games this season to promote breast cancer research. Dayton unveiled the uniforms against St. Bonaventure. UD also donned the jerseys at La Salle on Feb. 15 and in their home game against Saint Louis on Feb. 18. An auction for the jerseys and shorts was held. Winners will be notified following the season.