DAYTON FLYERS (12-3, 0-0 A-10) VS.
GEORGE WASHINGTON COLONIALS (3-9, 0-0 A-10) Charles E. Smith Center (Capacity: 5,000)
Live Stats: DaytonFlyers.com
Streaming Video: GW All-Access at GWsports.com
Jim Jabir (Nazareth College `84)
Overall Record: 322-321 (23rd Season)
Record at Dayton: 102-98 (7th Season)
Mike Bozeman (Fairleigh Dickinson `88)
Overall Record: 20-23 (2nd Season)
Record at GW: Same
The Dayton Flyers are 0-24 against the George Washington Colonials.
At Home: 0-12 On the Road: 0-12 Neutral: 0-0
Last Meeting: George Washington 64, Dayton 52 - UD Arena - Jan. 28, 2009
Streak: Lost 24
DAYTON OPENS A-10 PLAY AT NATION'S CAPITAL
The University of Dayton women's basketball team starts Atlantic 10 play at the nation's capital when the Flyers take on George Washington this Saturday, Jan. 9 at 2 p.m. ET at the Smith Center in Washington D.C. It is the Conference opener for both teams. The Flyers hope to end their longest losing streak against any opponent; GW is the only Atlantic 10 team UD has never beaten, the Colonials lead the all-time series 0-24. Live stats are available on DaytonFlyers.com, while audio is available on GWRADIO.com and video is available at GWsports.com. UD started 2010 with an 84-54 win over Navy on Jan. 5 at UD Arena.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
• The University of Dayton women's basketball squad is receiving votes in the AP and USA Today/ESPN Polls for the eighth consecutive week.
• The Flyers are outrebounding opponents by a plus-9.1 margin which is 20th in the NCAA National Ranking Summary. They have outrebounded 13 of their 15 opponents. Dayton has outrebounded eight opponents by double-digit margins, including a season-high 45-24 (+21) against Seattle.
• Dayton has three losses this season; one at home (to Louisville on Nov. 15), one on the road (to Toledo on Dec. 9); and one at a neutral site (to Vermont on Dec. 29 at the Blue Sky Classic hosted by Dartmouth). The Flyers are 5-1 at UD Arena, 5-1 on the road and 2-1 in neautral games this season.
• Dayton's Kristin Daugherty and Justine Raterman were named to the Dartmouth Blue Sky Classic All-Tournament team on Dec. 30. It's the second time both have earned tourney honors this year; The other was at the BTI Classic.
• The Flyers beat their first Top 10 team in program history with a 77-74 victory over No. 10 Michigan State Friday, Nov. 13 in their season opener.
• The University of Dayton captured the first two Atlantic 10 Players of the Week. Senior Kendel Ross was named the first A-10 women's basketball Player of the Week for the 2009-10 season on Nov. 16. Kristin Daugherty earned the honor a week later. Kari Daugherty earned Rookie of the Week honors on Dec. 28.
• Coming off the first postseason win in the program's modern history, Dayton, was selected to finish tied for third in the 2009-10 Atlantic 10 Women's Basketball Preseason Poll.
• The Flyers tied Xavier for a league-high with three different players named to the 2009-10 A-10 Preseason Teams. Junior Kristin Daugherty and sophomore Justine Raterman were both named Second Team Atlantic 10 Preseason selections, while sophomore Casey Nance was tabbed to the A-10 Preseason Defensive Team.
LAST TIME OUT
Sophomore De'Sarae Chambers scored a season- and game-high 16 points to help the Flyers start the New Year with an 84-54 win over Navy at UD Arena on Jan. 5. The victory gave the Flyers a 12-3 record in non-conference play this season. Junior Kristin Daugherty scored 10 points while freshman Olivia Applewhite chipped in with a career-high eight points and eight rebounds for the Flyers. As a team, UD shot a season-high 51.5 percent (34-66) from the field, including a season-high 50 percent (8-16) from behind the arc. The Flyer defense scored 21 points off turnovers after forcing 16 Navy miscues. Junior Elle Queen had three of Dayton's six steals. The Flyers dominated in the paint outscoring Navy 44-24 and UD's bench outscored the Mids' 50-23.
SCOUTING GEORGE WASHINGTON
George Washington has a storied history, advancing to 18 postseasons in the last 19 years. This season the Colonials have been hit by the injury bug. After starting the season 2-0, GW suffered a program-worst eight-game losing streak, snapping it with a 45-43 win over Rutgers on Dec. 30. George Washington is 3-9 going into the game against Dayton. UD and GW have played one common opponent so far this season: Michigan State. Dayton opened their 2009-10 campaign with a 77-74 win over the then-No. 10 Spartans on Nov. 13. The Colonials suffered a 78-47 setback to Michigan State on Nov. 27 in the Junkanoo Jam in Freeport, Bahamas, Sophomore guard Tiana Myers leads the Colonials with 11.4 ppg. Sara Mostafa, a 6-foot-5 sophomore, is their leading rebounder with 6.0 per game, and also leads the team in blocks with 17. Her 8.9 ppg is second on the team. Freshman Janine Davis leads GW in assists (33) after standout freshman point guard Danni Jackson's season-ending injury just four games in.
A WELL-BALANCED DIET
The Flyers, putting up 72.8 ppg, have a very balanced and potent attack with nine players averaging 5.5 ppg or more. Sophomore Justine Raterman, the 2008-09 Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year, leads UD in scoring with 12.3 ppg. Senior Kendel Ross is second with 10.5 ppg and leads the squad with 6.5 rpg. Junior Kristin Daugherty is close to double digits with 9.5 ppg. Her sister, freshman Kari Daugherty is Dayton's fourth leading scorer with 6.7 ppg. De'Sarae Chambers has come on strong and is now averageing 6.3 ppg, while redshirt freshman Brittany Wilson has 5.9 ppg. Preseason All-Defensive Team selection Casey Nance leads the Flyers and A-10 in blocked shots (33) and rebounds (97), plus averages 5.5 ppg. Kayla Moses and Elle Queen also average 5.5 ppg. Sophomore Patrice Lalor is the mastermind of the UD offense with 65 assists. Her 1.8 assist-to-turnover ratio is second in the Atlantic 10.
The Flyers are 0-24 all-time against George Washington. Last season the Colonials defeated Dayton 64-52 at UD Arena on Jan. 28, 2009. Three GW players scored in double figures, including current sophomores Tara Booker (15) and Tiana Myers (13). Justine Raterman had 18 points to lead the Flyers who trailed 34-20 at the half. The closest UD ever came to knocking off the Colonials was a 75-69 loss in their first meeting on Jan. 6, 1996 at UD Arena. The last time the Flyers played at George Washington the No. 15/13 Colonials escaped with an 81-73 loss on Jan. 29, 2008. Current senior Kendel Ross led UD with 16 points.
The Flyers host St. Bonaventure on Saturday, Jan. 16, a week after their game against George Washington. Tipoff is slated for 4 p.m. ET at UD Arena. The game will be carried by 1660 Info Radio and televised nationally by CBS College Sports. Live stats on Gametracker are available at www.DaytonFlyers.com.