SCHEDULE NOTE: Dayton's game against Arkansas State on Friday has been pushed back to 2 p.m. ET due to field conditions.
Riverview Inn Challenge
Raymond C. Hand Park
Dayton vs. Arkansas State
Friday, 2 p.m. ET
Dayton at Austin Peay
Saturday, 3:30 p.m. ET
Dayton vs. Northern Illinois
Sunday, 12 p.m. ET
Live Stats: LetsGoPeay.com
| 2012 Prospectus
(2-8) travels to Clarksville, Tenn., this weekend to compete in the Riverview Inn Challenge, hosted by Austin Peay
at Raymond C. Hand Park. Dayton will play Arkansas State
(7-4) on Friday, Austin Peay
(8-3) on Saturday and Northern Illinois
(0-11) on Sunday.
• Fresh off becoming Dayton’s career strikeout leader, senior right-handed pitcher Burny Mitchem
will return as the Friday starter against Arkansas State. Mitchem pitched six shutout innings of relief at Tennessee Tech last weekend, compiling a career-high14 strikeouts during UD’s 11-inning win.
• Mitchem enters the weekend as the active NCAA career strikeout leader with 269. Arizona’s Kurt Heyer is second with 268. Senior Mike Hauschild
ranks 20th in the NCAA for active career strikeouts with 189.
• Dayton and Austin Peay lead teams in the Riverview Inn Challenge in runs scored per game (9.2). The Flyers have nine more stolen bases (22) than any other opponent this weekend.
• On a senior-laden team, freshman A.J. Ryan
leads the Flyer offense in batting average (.423) after nine games played and six starts. Ryan was named the A-10 Rookie of the Week on Feb. 27. The LaGrange Park, Ill., native ranks second in the A-10 in batting average.
• Senior Bobby Glover
is on a 10-game hitting streak with a hit in every game this season. Glover leads the team in RBI (13), hits (15) and homeruns (2).
National Weather Service Forecast – Clarksville, Tenn.
Mostly sunny, with a high near 58 degrees. North northeast wind between 5 and 15 mph.
Mostly sunny, with a high near 64 degrees. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming southeast.
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a high near 63 degrees. South wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Last Time Out
• Dayton lost to Butler in Indianapolis on Tuesday (8-5) falling to 2-8 after the first 10 games of the season.
• Sophomore left-handed pitcher Tommy Konrad
made his first start as a Flyer on the mound and threw four innings, allowing just three hits and one run with six strikeouts.
• A combined four runs in the fifth and sixth innings all but finished Butler’s comeback from a 4-0 Flyer lead. Four of Butler’s eight runs scored reached base on a walk.
• Glover went 2-for-5 with two RBI to extend his hitting streak to 10 games.
Scouting Arkansas State
• The Red Wolves enter the weekend with a 7-4 record after losing two games in a mid-week series against SIU-Edwardsville. Prior to those games, ASU had won six-of-seven games on its home field in Jonesboro, Ark.
• Head Coach Tommy Raffo
is 87-95-1 in his fourth season at Arkansas State.
• Outfielder Ryan Emery
leads the team with a .375 batting average and 12 RBI. Infielder Zach George
leads the team in hits (15), runs scored (10) and triples (2).
• The Red Wolves’ pitching staff has a 3.75 ERA, 76 strikeouts and just 30 walks allowed. Dayton will face right-handed pitcher Jacob Lee
on Friday. Lee (1-0 in three starts) leads the ASU pitching staff with a 3.94 ERA and 18 strikeouts.
• Arkansas State was picked to finish seventh in the Sun Belt out of 11 teams.
Scouting Austin Peay
• Host Austin Peay has won four consecutive games and enters the weekend with an 8-3 record.
• On Tuesday the Govs defeated Alabama A&M, 7-1. Last weekend APSU swept three games in the Riverview Inn Classic, including a 10-inning win over Iowa, 4-3.
• Greg Bachman
, a four-year starter at third base, leads the APSU offense with a .362 batting average, 17 hits and 13 RBI.
• Dayton will face Zach Toney
on the mound on Saturday. Toney has a 3.24 ERA and 1-1 record after three starts. The senior lefty has a team-leading 15 strikeouts.
• Last season the Governors won the Ohio Valley regular season and tournament titles with a 17-6 conference record and 34-24 overall record. The Govs went 1-2 in the NCAA Regionals – defeating George Tech in the first game and losing the next two.
Scouting Northern Illinois
• After a fourth-place finish in the MAC last season (30-27, 16-11), the Huskies have a 0-11 record out of the gates in 2012.
• The Huskies have played four nationally-ranked teams (No. 11 Arizona State, No. 18 St. John’s, No. 24 Oregon State and No. 24 Texas Tech). NIU opened the season with a four-game series at Tennessee, which is currently receiving votes in the USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll.
• As a team, NIU has a .229 batting average and 8.35 ERA.
• Head Coach Ed Mathey
is in his ninth season with Northern Illinois with a 252-262-1 record.
• Sophomore infielder Alex Klonowski
leads the Huskies with eight RBI and 12 hits.
• The Flyers are slated to face lefty Jake Hermsen
on the mound on Sunday. After three starts Hermsen has a 0-2 record, 10.12 ERA and a team-best 14 strikeouts.
• During the preseason, the Flyers were picked to finish third in the A-10.
• Last season UD went 32-27 and 15-9 in A-10 play, finishing third.
• UD returns five position players and three-of-four pitchers who started a conference game in 2011.
• Head Coach Tony Vittorio has a 344-333 record in his 13th season at Dayton.
• The Flyers won the 2009 A-10 regular season title and have had 30-win seasons in five of the last seven years.